AP Reading List
Pre AP English II Summer Reading
Students enrolled in Pre AP English II are required to complete a summer reading assignment. Students will be tested on the material upon return to class in August. If you have any questions regarding the assignment, please e-mail me: email@example.com.
Pre AP students going into Pre-AP English 2 will need to read:Antigone by SophoclesAssignment:After reading Antigone, write a paragraph for each bullet point below. Be sure to support and/or defend your topic idea with specific details from the drama.
- In her relationship with Ismene, does Antigone reveal any qualities that are not admirable? What are her weaknesses, if any?
- Antigone has various motivations for her defiance of Creon's decree. What are her guiding principles?
- Sophocles never directly states whether Antigone's predicament is a result of her own actions and character or if it is due to fate and the family curse. Defend your opinion.
- Write an analysis of the character of Creon, including explanation of his motivation and his tragedy.
AP Summer Reading - Junior and Senior Information Below
Students enrolled in AP English Language and AP English Literature are required to complete a summer reading assignment. Students will be tested on the material upon return to class in August. If you have any questions regarding the assignment, please e-mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
AP English Language (JUNIORS)
1. Read and annotate The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
2. Reading journal for The Scarlet Letter. Please use a composition book. You may use the same composition book you used as freshmen and/or sophomores.
The Scarlet Letter
Ch. 1 The Prison Door
Pull the sentence from the chapter that you think is the most important. Put it in this column in quotation marks. Page number should follow in parenthesis.
Ch. 2 etc.
Explanation: Explain why you chose the quote. Do not paraphrase! Is it foreshadowing? Is it about character? Why do you think this particular passage is important to the novel as a whole, etc. The explanation may be longer than the quote itself.
3. Read and annotate The Crucible by Arthur Miller.
AP English Literature (SENIORS)
1. Read and annotate How to Read Literature Like a Professor. A project based on this book will be assigned the first week of school.
2. Read and annotate The Odyssey (Robert Fagles translation).
3. Reading journal. You will need two passages from each book in The Odyssey. Journals are due the first day of class.
Have a great summer!